News

New paper! in the American Naturalist

Saturday, July 20, 2019

Julia programming: I started using Julia

I took a short course on Julia programming and started using Julia..!

It seems Julia can be as fast as C at least for data analysis (I'm realizing now it is fast after converting my own code written in Python to Julia!!!). https://julialang.org/benchmarks/

Also, Julia has a way to organize packages etc that one has used, so that it is easier to reproduce the same result even in another computer. Coding is as simple as Python.

I had some installation problem, but by trying two ways, I managed to make it work.
On Mac OS, try either
>>> brew cask install julia
or
Download the original dmg from https://julialang.org/downloads/ and install it. If you use this way,  you can either start Julia like a typical application (by clicking the Julia icon in Application), or you need to type all the path on terminal if you don't want to bother going to Application every time. Or, set a path on .bash_profile, and you can just type julia on terminal to start it!